It’s difficult to imagine a mobile device with no application installed in it. In point of fact, in this era of technology, it is very common to have a personal mobile phone. Did you know that 67.03% of the world’s population has a mobile device? This means about 5.27 Billion people have mobile phones and about 90% of the people having mobile use the internet connection to go online. This is one of the reasons why your business should have a mobile application.
But the most common problem faced by businesses while entering the mobile application development world is to decide whether a native app will be beneficial for them or the hybrid one. Today in this blog, we will be taking you into the depths of native and hybrid mobile application types and which one will be the best for your business.
Native Mobile Application:
A native application is developed specifically for the operating systems of a mobile phone. It is a program that is written in a specific programming language. For example, Objective C is used for iOS or Java for Android. As the native mobile app is developed concerning the technical and user experience guidelines of the OS, it has the advantage of faster performance and also the app interaction has better look and feel. Additionally, these apps can take the advantage of other software tools that are installed on the platform.
The native mobile applications are developed on the operating systems SDKs and hence can also interact with the device functions such as camera, gallery, contact list, etc. They can also recognize and use the standard gestures installed or any other new gestures used in applications.
Hybrid Mobile Applications
Hybrid mobile applications are built using cross-platform frameworks like Xamarin, Ionic, React and Sencha. And as it is designed to be cross-platform, you can reach the web, android, and iOS using a single development cycle. Most importantly, an internet connection is required to use these applications. Summing up, it can be said that Hybrid apps are web applications that give you access to the additional features of native apps.
Now that you have gained the basic knowledge of what native and hybrid apps are, let’s dive further into the advantages and disadvantages of these two types of mobile apps to help you gain a clear vision on which type of mobile application will suit the best for your business.
Native Mobile Application Advantages & Disadvantages
- As different codes are developed for different platforms having different operating systems, this type of mobile application is bound to provide a better user experience along with fast performance.
- High graphic applications, HD, and animated applications perform well with Native applications as the native codes are faster than that of hybrid.
- Native apps can easily access the features offered by the device like scrolling, gesture recognition, effects, and animations, it delivers an impressive user experience along with simplifying the development process of the mobile application
- It supports both online as well as offline access to the application. Your developer can create the application locally or through a server to let it function without the internet as well.
- Native applications require to write and maintain different codes for all the different platforms, hence the development process is quite time-consuming.
- The budget for development and maintenance code is higher if you want to build the same application for different platforms. It not only increases the budget but also you will have to find a specialized developer for each platform
- It is hard to maintain the same look and feel on different platforms as they have different codebase. Releasing the same features on every platform can be challenging here.
- The flexibility of the app is little when compared to hybrid apps
Hybrid Mobile Application Advantages & Disadvantages
- The application development process is faster as the developer has to work on a single code, which makes it very time-efficient.
- The development is less expensive and the maintenance is cost-effective as saves you the cost of developing two separate versions of the same product.
- There is a single code base that runs on every platform, so the code needs to be written only once.
- As it has “All for one” built, it can save a lot of time and money while developing versions of the mobile application. And it has a wider market coverage as well.
- The speed of the hybrid app depends entirely on the speed of the user’s browser, hence they do not perform as fast as the native apps.
- The connection of the internet is a must to use hybrid apps if you want to access all the features of the mobile application.
- The appearance of the app can differ depending on the software and operating system of the user. This requires excessive testing to make sure the user get the same look and feel on every platform
- When it comes to performance, 3D & HD games, applications with high caliber graphics and other performance-based applications might not perform well when compared with Native apps.
- As hybrid apps are entirely dependent on the native plugins, the developer might have to write new code to develop different branches of features and user flows which may lead to an increase in development time and cost.
Now that you have to know everything that you need to consider before choosing between the native mobile application and hybrid mobile application, below are a few questions that you need to keep in your mind before choosing either of these.
- When do you plan on launching your application?
- What is your budget?
- What features do you want to include?
- How many platforms do you want your application to be available on?
- Do you want to astonish your users with the application features?
- Or are you opting for a minimal approach?
With the answer to these questions, we are sure that you will come to the conclusion on which type of mobile application you want to create. Still not sure? You can reach out to our mobile application developers who can guide you for the same and also they will be able to help you reach your goals by developing the mobile app as per your requirements. For more information, you can visit our Mobile application development page or email us at [email protected]